Friday, September 24, 2004

Hoofin' it and M. Butterfly

Racking up the miles: I ran 5 miles after work yesterday, and 7 miles a couple of days before that. On Sunday I'm running 8 miles with a friend on the Mt. Vernon Trail, which has sweeping views of the Potomac, the Jefferson and Washington monuments, and of course, George Washington's stately home.

I never thought I'd be a runner. But I am. I'd still rather play tennis or go biking, but I love the simplicity and ease of the runner's world: Instead of ungainly and expensive equipment (i.e. skis, golf clubs, tennis rackets, bicycles), all you need is a good pair of running shoes. You don't even need a partner, though it can make running more enjoyable.

A night at the theat-uh: Tonight, I'm going to see "M. Butterfly" at Arena Stage, on D.C.'s waterfront, with two friends. Washington has a vibrant, top-notch theatre scene (New York Times and Wall Street Journal critics regularly review plays here), and Arena Stage is one of the better theatre companies. The company focuses on American plays; I've seen a moving rendition of Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men," and a witty performance of "The Women," as well as others.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the Mall (as in the 2-mile green stretch of lawn book-ended by the Capitol and the Washington Monument and ringed with other monuments and the Smithsonian museums - not a shopping center) with another friend for the "First Americans Festival." It's in celebration of the new Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. Check out the performance schedule here.

No comments:

Post a Comment