Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes ....

Much has happened over the past few days. There's the National Half-Marathon, of course. Which was NOT a good race for me.

I was too tired from stress and several sleepless nights. I also got to the race start with only four minutes to spare because of traffic and got stuck in the back of the pack.

As such, I was six minutes off my goal time of 1:47. At Mile 6, knowing that I wouldn't do a PR and wary of hurting myself, I switched from race mode to hard-training mode.

But more on that later.

Aloha!: I'm in Hawaii. On the Big Island, typing to you from an open-air coffehouse in Kailua-Kona. Yes, 'tis true. E. and I hopped planes early yesterday morning from Washington D.C., arriving in the land of aloha 12 hours later.

Why? Well, why not? E. and I decided on going to Hawaii for some much-needed R&R on a very dark and dismal early January day.

And this trip is also a celebration of my quitting my job. Yes, you read that right. My last day was Monday. I'm sorry to leave some great colleagues and friends. But I need to do something different.

And now I have to go. Beaches to explore. Volcanoes to climb. Mangoes and papayas to eat. Bikinis to wear.

Will post photos later today.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on busting loose! And you did is in style. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? You quit?!?! I'm always the last to know these things!

    Missing you already.

    ENJOY!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous. Have a great time in Hawaii. Eats lots of pineapple for me. Don't get on any helicopters! And run run run run run! then swim. then nap. then do it all over again ... starting w/ the pineapple part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hawaii. It's a great place to run. Have a great time while you figure out where you go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bex, we hardly knew ye. BTW, the National Half course was long and even as you were winging over the Pacific, you were picking up more than two minutes off your official finishing time. Not bad, two PRs in one race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. > Aloha!: I'm in Hawaii.
    > On the Big Island,
    > typing to you from an
    > open-air coffehouse in
    > Kailua-Kona.

    Bex, I'm so jealous. Won't you PLEASE take me with you next time? I'll contort my body to fit in your suitcase. I'll even be your humble cabana boy, willing to do all of your evil bidding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. W-W-W-W-Wow! Ch-Ch-Changes indeed!

    Enjoy the break and the sun and the surf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all of your comments, guys! I would comment personally to each one of you, but this computer is low on battery power ... I just had my first mai tai here in Aloha-land. Yummy ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do know you're living every working stiff's dream: chucking the job and heading to Hawaii - just because you can. I'm sooooo jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, Hawaii... If only I could quit my present job, I'd go to a similar place, probably the Yucatan peninsula... Congrats on a gutsy decision and I wish you the best...

    PS Have another MaiTai for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy smokers!
    Well that's the way to quit a job.

    I have an opening in Orlando. Write soon.

    Have a drinkie with umbrellas in it before you write.

    ReplyDelete