Tuesday, June 29, 2004

A cautionary tale

I like my job. I want to keep my job. That's why I'll never complain about it here.

However, Amy Norah Burch, an office worker in Harvard's social studies department, thought it was just fine in her blog to threaten to bomb Harvard because she found her co-workers irritating.

Funny? Maybe. But the sheer stupidity of linking your personal blog to your office e-mail is breathtaking.

She called her blog satiric. Her bosses called it grounds for dismissal.

Here's the Harvard Crimson story. Burch also wrote about her firing in a short piece for the Boston Globe's magazine this past Sunday. Here it is (edited a bit for space):

"I used my online diary as a steam valve for my administrative assistant job in Harvard's social studies department. Dealing with obstinate and sometimes nasty professors and students, I found that a quick one - or two - minute rant in my blog would calm my nerves enough so that I could return to productivity. My co-workers took cigarette breaks - how was this any different?"

[From moi: How is it different? Is she high?! No. Just brainless. Alas.]

"To me, blogging became a sort of electronic primal scream, one that saved the eardrums of my neighbors and co-workers . . . until one day last month, when my boss read my blog. Now, it was my own fault that she could access it. ...

I was called into my supervisor's office. ... The HR lady read excerpts from my blog aloud. Coming from a voice other than the one in my own head, the words made me sound like a psycho. I did write things like "I'm two nasty e-mails from professors away from bombing the entire Harvard campus." And "I was seriously livid today. I was ready to get a shotgun and declare open season on all senior faculty members and students who dared cross me."

But in my own head, these words held as much weight as when I'd yelled "I'm going to strangle you!" to my little sister. However, when other people are reading aloud only the offending entries (a small minority, I maintain), it's no wonder that I am labeled dangerous.

I tried to explain my position - "I'm harmless!" "I was just venting" "I never used last names!" Still my employment was terminated, effective immediately. May 24 was my last day. My heat-of-the -moment rants were labeled "extreme misconduct," even though my employer of four years couldn't prove my performance had suffered in any way. ...

I suppose the lesson here is to make rants less accessible to the public. I shouldn't have had a link to my blog on my home page and freely given out my home page address. However, the HR people seemed to insinuate that even had my work e-mail signature not contained a link to my home page, the things I had written would have been grounds for dismissal.


This is where things get murky. I question whether employers have the right to fire people for ranting in online diaries. What if I had gone out to lunch with friends and read aloud from a diary I kept beside my bed? Could Harvard have fired me for that? I didn't reveal any secrets online. I didn't harm anyone's reputation. It doesn't seem right that I should be punished for having and sharing opinions.

[Darlin', what you did was beyond kvetching to your friends. You literally put your rants in front of potentially millions of readers. You putz.]

Daily diary entries have always been an important part of my life. I doubt this will scare me into going back to the old composition book and pen. But in the future, I will be more careful about how accessible I make my blog. I definitely won't put any personal links in my work e-mail signatures. Maybe I'll try harder to conceal the identities of parties mentioned. I'll still write about work, as I don't foresee a job where I'm happy 100 percent of the time. Actually, if I am, I'll definitely write about it."

I hope she likes blogging about working at Dunkin' Donuts ....

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that was pretty thoughtless what she did. No one at my work knows about my blog, only people I've met through the Net. I don't have a job where I use the computer (not yet!) :-), but it's only common sense to keep your work and blog separate. Sure, I comment about my job on my blog, but that is two separate things. I'm also not dumb enough to mention the actual name of the place where I work either. People have got to be careful about what they write because you never know who might be reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny. I like the web address she posted on her e-mails that went to where her blog was listed: www.AnnoyYourFriends.com Hello!

    There are certain things civilized people don't do -- especially in a fear-alert society. I wouldn't recommend taking a toy gun on an airplane either!

    I'm all for remaining anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for posting the tip on how to get out of my job right quick!

    Oh, I have sniveled & whined about my job. Grounds for termination? Hmm. Mayhaps. Methinks 'twould be prudent to remain with lips bottoned shut.

    Unfortunately it's the fingers I can't seem to get a handle on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a case of assumption she had a problem. Those who think they are above the Bill Of Rights, will usurp your every move for they have an inner feeling of I'm not worthy--neither will you be
    .

    Dear American,

    My rights have been violated. A personal phone call that I made to my service writer was used against me to put me on leave with no pay, to see a doctor or quit my job?

    One day I walked through an over head door, the door started making a lot of noise, hear comes a service writer, yelling and mouthing something. The same time I was looking up to see what was happening to the door/motor. The noise of the motor stopped making some noise. Then I heard, "don’t you know what the stop button is? Can't you hear? I told you to push the stop button." I proceeded to get in my truck pull to my station and get something. Clocked into work and decided I was so upset and mad that I drove home, so I wouldn't be verbally terrible to anyone, and thought I was being treated like a little kid. So as I am going down the road, I call my service writer on his personal phone line and was loud and expressed what happened that morning, I did use a couple foul words and at the same time expressed this was not towards him and apologized for being some what rude and that I was really upset, and didn't deserve to be talked to like that. A couple of days later, I talked to my service writer and he said "everything is cool and not to worry. I know it was the case of testosterone level up and understood why I was upset and that the person who spoke to me is different and in his own world." A couple days later I have to go to H.R. regarding the expressed concern over my personal phone call on a personal phone line not owned by my employer. Also they addressed quote "My Job Abandonment." Long story to explain in short, I was to see a doctor, or quit my job. So they assumed I have a problem, they also used a personal phone message that I left for who I thought was a friend yet a co-worker. Now they left me to see a doctor, off work and no pay.
    The hostile environment I work in everyday, or did for now, is the same as what my phone message was. Also know that others have been suspended for what ever reason and never had to see a doctor. Assuming I have a disability was wrong, using a personal phone message like that was wrong. The phone message wasn't really that bad. Nor did it give any indication of any ill will to the person I left message with, who was not the same person I had problem with early that morning. Later that day I wrote an email stating the facts that happened and expressed a few other things, and was nice about it. If you are interested, I have no problem showing you more, for your comments. There is no privacy. I have addressed this issue on a legal state and no one has the answer about where the medium is between hostile environment, Bill of Rights, and private information
    Although I know I work in an at will state, that should have no bearing on a lawyer not taking the time to hear the issues that have happened that may have led up to my being upset that day. The fact that employers get away with what they do is ludicrous. The thought of not having recourse or mediation, is a violation to my civil rights. The ability to work hard and live free and discuss and vent and not being biased is a gift to me from my parents and founding fathers and those who have protected this country. Those who have usurped our life as a Free Country should be jerked of their rights to suppress something when they don't want to deal with it.

    Americans need to stand up for what is right. Should anyone be treated by any organization that promotes Integrity, yet left to the streets with no mediation or any logical recourse? Would you want your kids to grow up in a society that no matter what you do, no matter what you say, no matter when or where; be used against them before they have a chance to defend themselves? Is it right for any management to assume you or your kids have a problem? Should those in public places stand up for you? Should Americans let others run over them and push them to a limit that they can’t take it anymore? So you think that one should just grin and bear it and move on? What recourse is there when, lawyers just blow you off or when others are capable to handle these types of hostile environments, yet they really don’t care and have a biased opinion? You think you have it good now? Just wait, the ball has just started rolling.


    Charles Bex
    calb@american-values.us

    ReplyDelete