Friday, June 11, 2004

World leaders here in D.C. to remember Reagan

Well, many of them were here in Washington for a last goodbye to Reagan: Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, her magnificent voice weakened by age and ill health, and former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev among them. The skies were rainy and overcast and the temperature cool enough for a sweater, surprising for a mid-June Friday morning, as the funeral procession traveled up Wisconsin Ave., NW to the Washington Cathedral.

I remember watching Gorbachev give a speech on a sunny May morning in Columbia, Mo., back in the early 1990's. Even from where I sat, I could see the birthmark on his face. Interestingly enough, it made him seem more approachable, more human.

What I've been up to: I was in Harrisburg, Pa., yesterday for an all-day seminar on how reporters and editors can better cover the world of business, which, as you know, has been plagued with scandal and greed. It was a boring, 2 1/2 hour haul to Harrisburg, but the drive was worthwhile: There were about 30 or so of us in attendance, and we heard from several journalists/media professors on how to dig deep for good dirt and news angles on the companies we cover, as well as received a primer on intermediate financials.

One thing has always perplexed me when I see a bunch of print reporters together: Why do we - as a whole - always dress so crummily? I mean, would it kill the women to buy clothes that actually flatter them, instead of the serviceable but shapeless togs they wear? And why don't the men ever get a decent haircut?! Okay, so I'm exaggerating. But not by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment