Friday, July 29, 2005

Made it to Friday

Lots of info and little time to post. So, forthwith!

Running Update: I got hit with some gastro-intenstinal distress on the flight back from the Philippines, and it was touch and go for me the next few days. I still worked. I just had to keep a few rolls of Tums and Maalox within arm's distance.

I tried a short exploratory run on Wednesday, after doing 40 minutes of squats, lunges and upper-body weights with no incident. But after 10 minutes, my stomach rebelled. All that up-and-down motion when running jars your insides. So I stopped. And my stomach improved.

Yesterday, determined and feeling depressingly flabby, I set out for a 6-mile run, stomach be damned. Nothing like jumping back in with both feet, n'est ce-pas?

I was a bit sore from the previous day's weights, but otherwise in good shape. Enthusiastic, even. It was an overcast evening in the 80's. I cautiously started running my usual trail near the office, at about a 9:05 pace. Aaah. My legs said, "Well, it's about damn time!" But only after a few minutes, my stomach began complaining.

A powerful wave of nausea came over me at the end of mile 1, and I had to stop. I leaned over with my hands on my knees, looking at the packed dirt. I felt like I was going to expel from one end, the other end, or both. Sorry if this is too much information.

I sat down on a nearby bench and closed my eyes. After about 10 minutes, I felt somewhat normal. I got up and started running again. All those days of lazing on the beach, fighting Manila traffic and eating rich desserts and spicy noodles in the Philippines had caught up to me.

I ran five more miles at an easy 9:15 pace. The last two miles were pretty tough, even though I was running slower than usual. I probably averaged a 9:30 pace the last two miles. My legs felt like dead weights.

It was a painful re-entry into running, but it would've been more painful if I didn't run until tomorrow morning. That'll be my first time back with my 10-mile training group since the trip. We're scheduled for an 8-mile run at 7:30, bright and early.

Semi-Luddite: I lost my cell phone a few days before my trip to the Philippines. And you know what? I don't miss the damn thing. Well, except for some of the phone numbers stored in there. But I almost always hated it when it rang. Many times, I would just ignore it.

I'm on the phone all day at work, so I hate being bothered on my own time. I am not one of those people who wants to be reachable at all times. Boundaries, people. My friends know that when we make plans, they have to be on time, as I usually had my cell phone turned off. If I travel on business, I can always check out a company cell phone.

So we cancelled the account, and I am free as a bird now. Bliss. If people need to talk to me, they can call me at the office, email me (best way), or, the last resort, call E.'s home office number (we don't have a land line at home for personal use).

One last thing: I'm taking today off because it's my birthday (!). Actually, yesterday was my birthday, but I was on deadline, so I had to work. I didn't tell anyone at the office because I did not want the experience of standing around the obligatory cake in the conference room in the middle of the workday with the rest of the newsroom, where everyone will feel compelled to chitchat (all the while thinking about the piles of work on their desks) and wolf down a piece of sheet cake. Then, after 10-15 minutes and a glance at one's watch, to say a hurried "Happy Birthday!" and fleeing to the safe confines of their cubicles to catch up on work.

No, thank you.

I didn't finish until close to 9 last night (although I took a 1 1/2 hour break for the afore-mentioned run). E. and I celebrated afterwards with a quiet birthday dinner here, which was lovely.

And today everything is free and clear. I have a massage scheduled this afternoon, and maybe I'll catch a matinee. I've still got presents to open, and I think E. has something else planned as well.

And, of course, I've got a short run (4 miles) planned, and a major free weights session on my schedule. Got to get back into fighting form.


  1. First off, Happy (Belated) Birthday! Sorry to hear that you've been dealing with stomach problems...way to stick with that run! And good luck on tomorrow's run.

    Enjoy your birthday weekend :-)

  2. Happy Birthday! What, no cake? ;-)

    I'm glad you've gotten back and gotten over the little stomach problems. Sounds like your legs are more than ready to jump back with the group tomorrow though. Hope it all goes well.

    And enjoy that massage today.

  3. Happy Birthday, Bex!!!

    Sorry the stomach bug got you. I wonder if its actually something with your inner ear. All jumping up and down swirls the fluid and causes the nausea. Just a thought. Sounds like its clearing up, which is good.

  4. From me too: happy b-day. good luck on tghe training run:)

  5. Happy Barfday!! (ha ha)
    and Welcome Back!!
    Glad you are feeling better.

    (and oh I so agree with you about the whole office birthday thing! I keep saying it ... but great minds...~!)

  6. so, what, are you like 40 now? Well you look pretty good for your age. Happy day 2 you po.

  7. Ha! I should say I'm 40. That would take people aback. Nope, still in my 30's for awhile.

  8. Okay everybody ... stand around your monitor and sing "Happy Birthday" to Bex. Okay. Now get back to blogging.
    Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. Enjoy the weekend.

  9. To Truth is Stranger: You're so polite! Salamat po on the birthday greetings.