Saturday, August 20, 2005

Steeerriiiike!

The mechanics' union for Northwest Airlines, which I'm scheduled to fly tomorrow morning back to Washington, D.C., decided to go on strike today at 12:01 a.m. NWA says it has crews of backup non-union mechanics trained and ready to keep planes flying.

But I'm not holding my breath. I may be in the Twin Cities longer than I expected.

Back in D.C: I'm a bit worried about my dog, Nelson, who has been home by himself for 2 1/2 days (even though we hired a dogwalker to feed and play with him three times a day). Plus, I have a Sunday 10-miler with a friend. And I still have a lot of work to do (non-wedding-related) before we head to Hawaii on Tuesday.

Ah, the Hawaii trip. Also on Northwest Airlines. There's the rub. I'm sure their mechanics will still be on strike, and it's extremely likely that NWA's schedules will be completely off-kilter. I'm expecting canceled flights throughout the country.

So the question is: Should I go ahead and buy another ticket to Hawaii on another airline? Or I should I wait it out until Tuesday morning to see what transpires? I already paid close to $700 for the NWA ticket. I don't want to shell out another $1,ooo to $3,000 (last-minute fares) to get to luau-land.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wonderful. Don't they know you're supposed to get married; and that they have to get you to the church on time?
    Spend the money to rebook and your mind will rest easy. But can you handle it? Can you wait? Do they have wedding chapels in airports?

    Poor Bex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David: Good questions! It would make a good story if we did marry in an airport chapel. But I'm still holding out for a beach wedding ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can nelson stay with one of your friends? that seems like a long time to be without "live-in" company. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the mechanics are holding out, Bex. Hope you were able to get a good price on another ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! I hope things work out. First with you getting back home to Nelson and then getting out for your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have made it?! *Fingers crossed* that you are in Hawaii and (soon to be??) enjoying wedded bliss :-)

    ReplyDelete