Thursday, September 29, 2005

No Kimchee, No Cry

Urgh. Another crazy week for me. But last night, I did manage to take part in my running club's Wednesday night workout.

I learned a lesson: Do not eat kimchee (that's Korean fermented cabbage - muy caliente!)within 6 hours of running 8 X 800s.

Yes, I have adventerous taste buds. Well, adventurous for an American. The Japanese, the Italians, the French - they all think we're crazy to eat wacky fair food such as deep-fried Snickers bars, Twinkies and pickles. Don't tell me you haven't tried any of it.

Anyway. I ate kimchee don - kimchee mixed with eggs and beef over rice - for lunch from the little Japanese market/diner near my office. I polished off the last of it at 4:30 p.m.

I also ate some yogurt - another mistake. It felt like my whole mouth and throat were coated with a milky film. Eeeeww.

At 7 p.m., the kimchee still sat in my stomach like a rock. My tummy gurgled ominously, and I felt a bit out of sorts. Also, my legs felt tired, even though the7-miler I ran on Tuesday didn't feel difficult.

So instead of 8 repeats of 800, I only did 6, and even then, M., who runs with me on Saturdays, and who is usually at my pace, ran faster than me on most of the repeats.

During the recovery jogs, I cleared my throat and spat, hoping to rid my system of all the dairy I'd ingested a few hours earlier.

Okay, enough grossness. It's a gorgeous fall day, y'all. Get out there and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment