Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Still here

My new job/consulting gig has kept me pre-occupied. No time for blogging. Even my running has taken a back seat, although I have started up again, albeit slowly. I've missed you! And I will catch up on everyone's blogs this weekend.

Since I last posted, I flew to Los Angeles on a few hours' notice on a three-day business trip (and got to run on the beach, which was nice), attended a wedding, and performed on the piano for the first time in 15 years (!!) at a church service last Sunday.

Track work: I went to my first track work-out in weeks. The drill was a ladder: 1 X 400, 1 X 600, 1 X 800, 1 X 600, 1 X 400, then 4 X 400. Jog recovery in between the repetitions at half the distance.

I was with a group of about 8 other men and women in their 20's through 40's. Coach G. said not to race each other, but to help each other. So I backed off and let others take the lead. But then three women insisted on starting behind me, then tried to catch up.

Again, I was the pace bunny. This is what happens when you're with a bunch of other people with even more of a competitive streak than you. Whatever. My left ham/calf wasn't feeling so great, so I ran even a bit slower (1:35 on the 400's) on two of the last 400's - so they had to run faster than me - and opted out of the last 400 repetition altogether.

8 comments:

  1. miss you too!
    glad you are running some tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you and thanks for the workout! I never know quite what to do on the track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1:35's? Slow? Huh? Beat me, hands down.

    Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing you Sunday!

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it bad being a pace bunny?!?!

    she runs, she cooks, she plays AWESOME piano, she writes, she is W-O-M-A-N!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We take turns leading in my track pack to share the pain and mental anguish. Then again, no one would ever call us ultra competitive.

    Sounds like the consulting job is a good one if you're still busy and not bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back pace bunny.

    1:35 400's is all out max for me. I'd be the pace tortoise for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your left leg takes a beating on those turns. Great ladder work out. Post when you can. Your new gig sounds exciting. I admire you for jumping out of the corporate rat race so early in your working life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1:35 would be 190HR range for me with no room for repeats.
    ... and you were slowing down. Geesh.

    ReplyDelete