Monday, December 17, 2007

Honolulu Marathon Photos

I'm back from the land of the Lotus-Eaters. I returned to L.A. from Hawaii late on Saturday night, wedged tightly on the plane against a 6'4" 375-lb. giant. At least I had the aisle seat. He couldn't even put his arms down without knocking out either me or his wife.

But I digress. Here are a few photos of the Honolulu Marathon, courtesy of E. The first is of me taking a break at Mile 22. The second is of me stretching my cramping calves and hamstrings at Mile 24.

The third is of a typical race supporter as we ran through Honolulu neighborhoods. Note the enthusiasm! The fourth is of Japanese race supporters, who cheered madly for their countrymen and women, but fell silent when American runners slogged by.

More Mileage: I ran 14 miles yesterday, a week after the marathon. My legs felt sluggish and heavy. My pace was 9:30/mile. And I've got another 20-miler this weekend. Sigh.

Can I tell you something? I am so SICK of marathon training, which I've been doing, albeit inconsistently and half-assed, since July (!). I am actually dreading the Carlsbad Marathon on January 20. I don't know if I can PR in that race, much less qualify for Boston.

Heck, I'm not even sure I can run a sub-4:00. With all the life changes recently - moving cross-country, buying a house, starting a new job - my heart's just not in it right now.

But I've got five weeks. Okay, actually 4 1/2. How much training can I do in that time? I'll find out.

I'm going to put my head down and gut out the training until then. And after the race? No more long runs over 12 miles until I look towards my fall marathon. I'm thinking Chicago ....

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics Bex! It sure looks hilly at the end there. Marathon pics always look different from the other side of the lens. There's a few walking wounded that I can relate to!

    I ran 12 yesterday for my long run. 20 this weekend too. Yup, I'm looking forward to my post-Disney running program.

    And for fall - one more attempt at NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad, who was the fairest and most unbiased man I ever knew, secretly and fervently hated the Japanese after fighting them in WW2with the Marines. I have talked to other Pacific War veterans (Army men) who evinced the same notion. I have never talked to any WW2 veteran from the ETO who evinced the same notion about the Germans, even Jewish veterans who fought the Nazis. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to do a little less training for the next 10 days. Seriously. If you give those overworked legs a rest they will do much better on the 20th. You can't make the race come faster and therefore be over with sooner by running higher milage now. You need to rest up and then do 1 long run of 18 to 20 miles and then you will be ready. That means your long run is the weekend of Jan 5. Between now and then just run less - no more than 8 miles and mostly 4 to 6.

    You need trained but fresh legs for Carlsbad and getting a decent rest is the only way to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your feeling of being slightly burned out by all the marathons you have doing. I agree w/ 21stcenturymom that your legs may need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've got a case of marathon burnout. Happens to us all. Hang in there for one more month. Besides, the taper's coming so you technically have only three more really long runs -- two training runs and the actual race. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to have you back Bex. Don't worry about not hitting a sub-4 at Carlsbad, you'll have lots of company in the middle of the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos! you look terrific.
    i have marathon burnout too. just reading about it!

    i also have LAS (lazy-ass syndrome).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how that training stuff goes. In your case I understand. Way too much sidebar distractions for normal training.
    I am looking at Chicago too. That would be good.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sympathize with the "sick of marathon training" feelins, as I had them like crazy towards my marathon day. But now I am in the fine land of rest!

    Great photos -- you don't look tired at all! :)

    ReplyDelete