Tuesday, October 02, 2007

It's Official

I've signed up for the Carlsbad Marathon. I popped my check in the mail yesterday.

And not a moment too soon. I've gotten lazy over the past week. I only ran once (!!), logging about 8 miles. Yes, I had sore feet, and I was still unpacking. But, come on.

So last night, I ran close to 13 miles in about 2 hours. I ran loops through the posh neighborhoods of San Marino, through Caltech, battled traffic here and there as the sun set, and returned home when it was too dark to see.

This morning, 12 hours after logging my long run, I did a recovery jog/run of about 3 miles, waving at all the gardeners pruning the bushes and mowing the massive lawns of my neighbors. My legs felt like lead. And boy, are they sore. A good feeling, though.

You know you're a runner when you feel a sense of accomplishment because your legs feel like two wet noodles ...

8 comments:

  1. The great thing about Carlsbad is if the training goes really badly, there's always the half, which has 3x as many runners. You'll be fine though, wet noodles and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. legs tired from running or hula dancing your booty off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David: Hee! I wish I could say the latter, but it is not to be. Maybe if Hula-danced for two hours straight. At the end of the class last week, the women's faces were dewy with sweat. Except for me. I was like, "That was fun, but not a workout. Next!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. a southern california marathon in the winter sounds pretty heavenly actually!!! can't wait to read on about your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a nice marathon. Your running is going well obviously. You transitioned from running with the water being on your right to the water being on your left without a hitch, I see.

    I fly to Chicago in 2 days. You're 100 days out and it sure looks fine with that much time stretching out for training. Suddenly it gets down to four days and panic sets in. Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah! well, finally!. (ha ha, inside joke) i love how you start back gradually, you know, the way the books say you're 'sposed to.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doh! Now you've done it! Hehe. Good luck in the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to love the Carlsbad Marathon. Where other marathon course designers go out of their way to avoid hills, who ever came up with this course decided to celebrate the hills and the great views. You may not PR, but you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete